Thursday, March 24, 2011

MD Anderson Ovarian Cancer Charity Quilt

I was asked to particiapte in making a quilt to help raise money for women's cancer research.  I was given 6 fat quarters of Cherrywood fabrics that I had to use in the quilt and I could use only 30% other fabrics.  I only used the Cherrywood fabrics for the quilt top.  These fabrics were so easy to work with and were so soft.  I really enjoyed working with the Cherrywood fabics.  I was asked to create a quilt that would be donated to MD Anderson Cancer Center's 2011 Online Quilt Auction Promoting Gynecologic Cancer Awareness. 
All the quilts will be on display at MD Anderson in Houston, Texas during the month of September.  September is Ovarian Cancer/Gynegologic Cancer Awareness month.

Quilts will then be featured in an online quilt auction October 26th-November 9th 2011. You can view the online quilt aucion HERE. The quilt project and 2011 online quilt auction benefit the Blanton-Davis Ovarian Cancer Research Program and the Uterine Cancer Research Program at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Through innovative research, these programs aim to develop effective screening methods and ultimately a cure for ovarian and uterine cancer. The online auction also raises awareness for cervical cancer and the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genetic predisposition which increases the risk for developing both ovarian and breast cancer.
I decided to go the more simple route with the quilt top and did a lot of detailed quilting.  I feather quilted a large ribbon in the center of the quilt with the word hope in the middle and then echo quilted around the entire ribbon!  I hope you like it and I really hope it helps raise money for women's cancers!!









5 comments:

Nancy said...

Jamie, it's just wonderful...great quilting!!

Splendorfalls said...

What an awesome thing to be a part of! Really cool Jamie!

The quilt is lovely!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Golly, that's gorgeous.

Rachel Hill said...

Love the quilting you did on it, especially the hope!! Do I get to see this one in person or is already shipped off?

JustJoyce said...

Very nice quilt again....I think they will love it at MD Anderson.