Friday, April 15, 2011

The Awesome Quilt Along Week One

Hey ya'll!!!
Do you have your Jelly Roll ready?? Good! Here are the steps for week one, we're going to start with the blocks!  I can't wait to see everyone's fabric choices!  Don't forget to upload any photos of your progress to the Flickr Group!!
My mom and I are making NEW Awesome Quilts in for the quilt along too!! I'm using a Laurel Jelly Roll from Moda.  You may remember the quilt I made for my dad for Christmas using Laurel fabric...if not read HERE from my previous post.



1. Choose 16 JR strips

2. Take 13 JR strips and cut each as follows:
four- 7 1/2” pieces
four- 3” pieces


3. Take the 14th JR strip and cut as follows:
two- 7 1/2” pieces
two-3” pieces


4. Cut the 15th JR strip as follows:
14- 2 ½” pieces



5. Cut the 16th JR strip as follows:
13- 2 1/2" pieces


6. Mix & Match the 2 ½” middle squares with two each of the larger pieces (same fabric). You should have 27 ready to go to start sewing.  We will start sewing them next week, but you're more than welcome to jump ahead and sew them!





Okay, those are the steps for this week!!  Come back next Friday for the next steps!  This is so much fun already!  Don't forget to join the Flickr Group and if you don't have a Flickr, check out my tutorial on how to start a Flickr Account at the top of my page!

5 comments:

Martha Baldwin said...

Jamie, I woke up at 3:45 am and couldn't sleep. We are in the midst of selling our house and buyig another and everything is going so fast it's overwhelming. Well, I checked your blog to see if you had put the instructions on there for the jelly roll quilt yet, and you had. It's now 4:35 am and I'm headed upstairs to do the cutting. I already feel less stressed! Thank you!

Mari Albuquerque said...

Jamie,
the pictures are awesome, just like the name of the quilt. hehehehe...
SO beautiful!!! They are clean and SUPER easy to understanding.
Congratulations!!!
BIG kisses,
Mari

Jackie Russell said...

I'm ready to start mine! I bought a Sugar Pop JR for mine. I see you have two baby quilts on the Moda Bake shop with that fabric. Thanks for doing the quilt along for us. I will be out of town so I already know I will be falling behind but hope to catch up quickly. How many weeks for the quilt along? I was hoping to have a show and tell for the May STLMQG.

Nancy Page said...

I have the first set of instructions. Now all I need is a moment to get started. I will have to use a honey bun from Moda's Arcadia line. Looking forward to this quilt along.

Have a super great sewing day.

JustJoyce said...

Jamie
I hope you had a great week in Houston and have fun at the quilt show, sorry I miss getting in the store this week. I hope you got to see my yellow ruffle quilt. It will make a very special for a little one some day. thanks for all your cool ideas. Joyce